Monday, June 11, 2012

A DAUGHTER OF EVE BY CHRISTINA ROSETTI(1830-1894)

        A fool I was to sleep at noon,
      And wake when night is chilly 
  Beneath the comfortless cold moon;
  A fool to pluck my rose too soon,
       A fool to snap my lily.

                                                                                               My garden-plot I have not kept
                                                                                                   faded and all forsaken,
                                                                                                I weep as I have never wept:
                                                                                               Oh it was summer when I slept
                                                                                                   It's winter now I waken.
              Talk what you please 
And sun-warm'd sweet sweet to-morrow:-
   Stripp'd   bare of hope and everything,
       No more to laugh ,no more to sing,
            I sit alone with sorrow.                                                                                

No comments:

Post a Comment